Full python interface

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
Melmarkt

Full python interface

Postby Melmarkt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 am

Hi,

For a project I use a RoboClaw 2x30A, but the micro-USB port unsold with the time (this port seems fragile, could you do something about it in the next version ?).
I successfully sold it back, but it's rather fragile, so before it came apart again, I would like to be able to control it threw Serial command and python.

It works for almost every command, but I found some strange things :
- Why commands 78-79-81-100-101-102-103-104 are not available in roboclaw.py ?
- Why "_simplFunctionS2" used for commands 32-33 don't exist ?
- Why for the command 98 (Set Standard Config Settings) the function space and the Config Bit Mask space are not in bijection ? For example the mask to set Mixing and the Baud Rate to 9600 is the same.
- Can you confirm that the default duty acceleration (68-69) must be like the acceleration in commands 52-53-54 ?

Thanks in advance.

Basicmicro Support

Re: Full python interface

Postby Basicmicro Support » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 am

We use the strongest type of Micro USB you can currently get(eg this one has 4 through hole pins for structural support, while many others are purely SMT and can be easily ripped off). Note even these can be ripped off abut so can the larger Mini USB ports we used in the past. Basically you cant pull on the connector. It is not designed for significant loads.

If you send the board in we can usually repair a pulled off USB port.

the _simplFunctionS2 is a typo(left over from an older revision I beleive). We have fixed it but the updated python library hasnt been released. Changing those two places to _WriteS2 should fix those two commands.

The other commands you listed were added after the last release of the Python library and have not been added to the libary yet.

Melmarkt

Postby Melmarkt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:56 am

Thanks for your answer, but I still have some questions.

Did you have some information about the overlapping of mask for the "Set Standard Config Settings" function ?

For the other commands added to the library yet, can I use commands I wrote or those commands are disabled in the Roboclaw ?

Basicmicro Support

Postby Basicmicro Support » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:54 am

You can add the new commands. They are in the controller firmware. They just havent been added to the python library yet.

On "Set Standard Config Settings" some bit masks are mutually exclusive to the control mode set. Mixing is only an option with RC and Analog modes. Baud rate settings is only an option for Serial modes.

Melmarkt

Postby Melmarkt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:27 am

Thanks for your reply, you solved my misunderstanding.

Return to “General Discussion”