Detect Roboclaw USB on Ubuntu VirtualBox

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
usephj

Detect Roboclaw USB on Ubuntu VirtualBox

Postby usephj » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 am

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to detect Roboclaw USB on Ubuntu using Virtualbox. I was wondering is there any USB drivers that I need to install to work? I'm working on ROS project, so I'm using virtualization to work on Linux environment.

My Roboclaw model is 2x30A v5, firmware running on 4.1.23 and it's externally powered. I'm able to detect Roboclaw on my Windows (Main OS) but when I switch over Virtualbox. It's just doesn't show up on my terminal when I search by 'lsusb'

Any advice in helping me out here?

Thanks

IMC Support

Re: Detect Roboclaw USB on Ubuntu VirtualBox

Postby IMC Support » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am

I have never used VirtualBox but it appears you may need to setup the USB device for virtual box before you can use it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB

Linux does not need drivers for ACM/CDC USB to serial devices which is what the Roboclaw/MCP show up as. Windows does need a driver which is available in the download or product page sections of our website.

robof

Postby robof » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:04 pm

I know this post is a couple weeks old and you may have already solved it, but as no confirmed resolution is posted I wanted to add to it in the event someone searches for help later.

I am doing the opposite, using VirtualBox inside Ubuntu to run a Windows VM, specifically to run ION Studio for flashing firmware and setting PID values. The two things I had to do to get VirtualBox to recognize the Roboclaw USB (actually no USB devices were shown until I did this) was to install the VM Expansion Pack and then do what acidtech linked to, add the user to the vboxusers group. That of course is if your host is Ubuntu, so with Windows as the host it seems there may be some USB filter driver that needs to be installed that allows VirtualBox to control the various USB devices and pass them through.

The only other thing you will need to do in Ubuntu (after you get access to the USB device of course) is to adjust the permissions for the dialout group to gain access to the serial port. I had to do this with python, I'm assuming C/C++ would be the same.
Something like:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... thout-root
Last edited by robof on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IMC Support

Postby IMC Support » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks for the new info.

Also I moved this topic to General Discussions.

Return to “General Discussion”