Fuse/Breaker Recommendations

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
Chuck-Yeo

Re: Fuse/Breaker Recommendations

Postby Chuck-Yeo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:32 am

There are too many points in the circuit that might break the connection when the motor is turning. What I meant was rather than placing a diode at each of those points, it is alright to just have a direct path back the battery from the RoboClaw with a diode. I am using a 10A10 diode (happen to have one lying around although I understand a 1N4004 would be sufficient) as well as a 1K 0.5W resistor as recommended on page 40 of the RoboClaw user manual.

Wiring v0.2a.jpg
Wiring v0.2a.jpg (252.18 KiB) Viewed 195 times

IMC Support

Re: Fuse/Breaker Recommendations

Postby IMC Support » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 am

Yes, the doide should cross all the points from the B+ screw terminal to the Main battery + that could be opened while running. Only the one is needed.

Except you are showign a 1k 1/2w resistor in series with the diode. This should not be there. The diode is to provide a path for regen if the main path to Battery + is broken. The resistor wil resist the flow of current which will cause a voltage spike if the main abttery connection is broken and regeneration energy must flow through the diode.

A seperate pre-charge resistor may be needed/desired but it is directly connected(possibly through a secondary switch) to the battery, not through the diode.

Return to “General Discussion”